Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Unlikely Celeb Sightings 1

If this is what unemployed aka bum people feel, I already feel it. Well, I'm technically not employable since I haven't got a sedula or residence certificate, or NBI clearance--though I could easily get one--and I'm still 19--as if age can prevent me from joining the working force. Kids as young as five work.

Anyway, while waiting for summer practicum to commence--to that glorious place at the northernmost part of the Philippines--YES! BATANES!--I'm spending my days between alternating with my youngest brother in washing the dishes and doing chores like frying cooking stuff--and either watching the TV screen or the laptop screen. I alternate to avoid dying of boredom.

Well, now that I have yet to buy the ultimate remedy to boredom--a supersampler!--I've found another past time. I think I'm done, for the mean time, with my Audrey Hepburn movie marathons. What past time, you ask?

Watching movies and spotting who's-that-not-so-famous-actor-in-that-movie-pero-who-is-very-famous-now. It's like what Seth Rogen and his buddies in Knocked Up did--without the nudity and bong, of course.

So far, my movie watchful eye has spotted--with the aid of Google/Wikipedia articles--5 famous stars in not-so famous or even recognizable roles. Some don't even have a name or lines to go with their "character." Well, I guess everybody has a low point in movies--except for Sean Penn and Edward Norton, who as always starred in politically/socially/culturally-relevant, award-winning or at least avant-garde movies.

These five sightings are:

1) Jennifer Morrison in Mr. and Mrs. Smith as "Jade." Jade who? Morrison seemed to have traded her white Plainsboro Teaching Hospital-resident-doctor coat and stethoscope for black, leather duds and laptops--playing one of the plain-looking I-Temp girls of Angelina Jolie. She had a few scenes with Ange the Great but only one wherein she actually spoke. Ange asked her, "What're you guys doing in this room?" and she answered, "(blah blah blah) . . . research, background on the target." Then, Ange aka Jane tells her, "You may go. This room is wrapped up." And that ends Morrison's dialogue. In the whole movie. (Had to watch it more than thrice--and paused it around a few more times--just to see where was this "Jade." Her beauty and stunningness seemed to fade, or disappear, sans the doctor's coat. Now I know why doctors look hot. Or maybe  I do.

Add caption

2) Zooey Deschanel in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Yes, she was there and I only found out when the credits started rolling. Her name came out of nowhere. I had to watch the film over and over again trying to spot her. But, no. I had to check Google who she was in the movie exactly. And even then--when I had the name--I wasn't sure if it was really her. Come on, that Robert Ford's girlfriend does not look like Zooey. In fact--and I say this with confidence--she's very un-Zooey-ish in that movie.

Add caption

3) John Cho (as Harold in Harold and Kumar 1 & 2) in American Beauty. No, not American Pie but American Beauty. And his "character's" name: Sale House Guy #1. Goes to show how unimportant the role is. Anybody could be that guy. He just walks in this house--with his supposed girlfriend--which Annette Bening was desperately trying to sell, looks around and stares at Annette. He didn't even had a line.

Add caption

4) Scarlett Johansson in Home Alone 3. I first thought McCaulay Culkin was in this one--like the other Home Alone movies that I purposely skipped on--but I was pleasantly surprised, after watching the film, that it starred Alex D. Linz as the chickenpox infected Alex. Anyway, back to Miss Johansson. Well, I expected--since it was Home Alone Three already--a grown lady (maybe as policewoman or agent) to walk in and look a lot like Scarlett now. But, no. I was half into the movie when I remembered what the Wikipedia article said her name was in the movie. Molly Pruitt. Shit, she's the older sister of Alex. But not old as I expected. For all I know she's around fifteen--or younger. In fairness to her, she had actual lines. One of which was, "Excuse me, the 'it' you're referring to is my little brother." Yea! Attagirl.

Add caption
5) Olivia Wilde in Girl Next Door. Girl Next what? I know, it's one of those predictable and sleazy American highschool/teen flicks. But a much younger Dr. Thirteen was very much unrecognizable in this movie for the simple fact that she was blond. (Or was she a real blonde?) Few shots of her passed unnoticed then I saw her smile directly at the camera. And that's when I had to freeze frame a certain shot of her--smiling, with her friends (in the first part of the movie)--just to convince myself she was in that movie. Well, according to Wikipedia, her character's name's Kellie but I have watched the movie and don't remember her having any lines at all. I don't even remember a scene of hers with any of the lead characters.

Add caption


See? This is a fun time-consuming pasttime, the result/s of which only adds up to the immensely nonsensical trivia I have, stuck in my brain, waiting to be put to good use--like bragging? Ha ha.


Stay tuned.


No comments: