Monday, June 11, 2012

Lesbian Movies Color-Quality Spectrum [Updated]

Thought Catalog's Light to Dark Mood Spectrum, which ranked our favorite TV shows' moods from the lightest to the darkest--Lightest is Parks and Recreation and the darkest is Breaking Bad, inspired me to make my own color spectrum. I have ranked all the lesbian-themed/ -centric movies/TV shows I have watched and ranked them according to the Best to Worst.

Gray Matters 
Saving Face 
Imagine Me & You
I Can't Think Straight
So Close
Show Me Love
The Kids Are All Right
Boys Don't Cry
But I'm a Cheerleader
Glee
Rizzoli & Isles
Out at the Wedding
He's Such A Girl
Gia
Chloe
Go Fish
Elena Undone


Gray Matters (2006)  - A story of twenty-something career-driven (read: single) woman named Gray whose closeness with her brother Sam (they're often mistaken as a couple) leads them to find partners for each other. And they do. I briefly wrote about this movie before when I first watched it. I remember having coerced my brother to come watch this movie with me in the theater. I find the movie very...natural and the story not forced, unlike most lesbian-themed movies I have watched or heard of. It's very light and heart-warming. I loved how the film suggests the ending, and gives the viewers room to imagine/work out an ending for ourselves for Gray. I really liked (okay, fine, I cried a little over) the elevator scene between Gray and Sam. The chemistry between Heather Graham and Tom Cavanaugh played a big factor in making this movie the best lesbian-themed movie I've seen...so far.

Sam to Gray: ‎"Don't expect to end up with your first crush. It's like marrying at age 12."

Saving Face (2004) - The writers of Saving Face may very well be mind readers for they correctly--almost accurately--depicted the lesbian-coming out story for Asian women. I liked the film because it depicts the life of a lesbian Asian woman, which is very different from the European or American culture in the sense that Asians are highly family-oriented. Wil's decision at the end of the film was highly motivated by her mother's and grandfather's approval of her sexuality. Much like Gray's and Sam's touching elevator scene, I find the scene wherein Wil came out to her mom while she was watching a taped episode of her favorite TV show very heart-warming and real.

Wil: Ma, I love you. And I'm gay.
Wil's mom: How can you say those two things at once? How can you tell me you love  me...then throw that in my face? I am not a bad mother. My daughter is not gay.
Wil: Then maybe I shouldn't be your daughter.

I loved it that Wil's homosexuality unfolded along with her mother's struggle with extra-marital pregnancy and relationship with a younger man. Also, it didn't hurt that the movie had a happy ending.

Imagine Me & You (2005) - What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? The undertones, the language, the heart-warming feel of the movie propelled this film to number 3 of my list. I would've made it number two if not for Saving Face's storytelling. Seeing Matthew Goode (as Hec the husband) cry and deliver his speech about having to move because of the unstoppable force (read: Luce) broke my heart. Lucky for Rachel and Luce, Hec was understanding enough to well, understand their relationship, and give way. He could've easily become the villain but he wasn't. Story-wise, I loved the comedic, rom-com-ish vibe the film has. My problem with most lesbian-/gay-themed movies is that they try too hard. Some really goes beyond serious and turns freaky (see Elena Undone) while others appear too fun that they turn out dumb (Out at the Wedding). This one's just right. 

I Can't Think Straight (2008) - If Imagine Me & You and Saving Face had a child it would be I Can't Think Straight. And Elena Undone will be its jealous, underachieving cousin. Like Imagine Me & You, it features a wedding (or something near it), a supportive sister and a supportive jilted lover. Like Saving Face, it focused on the characters' family values as an important consideration in ones' decision to come out as a homosexual. Also, in both films a considerable amount of time has passed before the characters end up together for good. Time was used for the characters to settle their issues on their own before they decide to be with each other.

Tala and Leyla are a lovely couple. 

So Close (2002) - An Asian cop movie featuring three kick-ass women doing wonderful-'what-the-heck-was-that?!' stunts. This movie's story focuses more on the sisters Ai Lin and Ai Quan's relationship. The storyline about Ai Quan's affection/infatuation towards Police Detective Kong Yat Hung may be considered a secondary, somewhat minor plot but I appreciated how the writers played their cards right, and did not go overboard with it. They didn't overdo the homosexuality plot but did not ignore it either. They highlighted it at the right moment--at the end. Like Gray Matters, this movie's ending proved how great the power of suggestion is.

So Close: Using the power of suggestion.

Show Me Love (1998) - If Rachel and Luce or Tala and Leyla met in their teens, this would be their story. The story of Elin and Agnes is simple, honest and believable. It's a story of self-acceptance and unadulterated puppy love amidst all that teen angst. Swedish movies (or the ones I've seen so far) have a raw quality in them that amazes me. The scene where Elin explains to Agnes how she makes chocolate drinks is so... poignant (yes, I had to look up what poignant means).

Who knew that making chocolate milk drinks can be so meaningful.

The Kids Are All Right (2010) - For being a story about a lesbian couple raising two grown kids (one is going to college) and, possibly, dealing with mid-life crises, this movie deserves to be on the list. Notwithstanding some people's disappointment because it did not live up to the hype the movie got during the 2010 Oscar season, I still liked it. Aside from proving that Julianne Moore can't help but cheat in almost every movie I see her in, this film provides an insight, a preview, into what happens to lesbian couples if they manage to transcend all the barriers society have set up to prevent them from having a family. Gone are the days when lesbian-themed movies are all about coming out or puberty or sex. I think we are moving towards the era of exploring the possibility (or for some, the historical inevitability) of lesbian couples being married, or starting a family.

Boys Don't Cry (1999) - I personally did not like the 'feel' of the movie but because it came out in 1999, I must pay homage (naks!) to this movie, and put this on my list. Just because. Aside from Swank's career, it started---no, it opened the doors for lesbian-themed stories to be written, discussed and watched.

But I'm a Cheerleader (1999) Sending your suspected gay daughter to a We-Will-Flush-the-Gay-Out-of-You camp to, well, flush the gay out of her may seem funny and trivial at first but when we think about it, the True Directions stands for the oppressive 1990s society which aimed to correct homosexuals rather than accept them. But I'm a Cheerleader succeeds because it is honest with what it wants to achieve and does so in the simplest, uncomplicated way it can.

Glee (2009 - present) - For a teen show directly geared towards making high school look relatable and livable (with a lot of singing), I praise this show's writers for tackling gay issues, and having gay characters in Kurt, Blaine, Santana and Brittany. Glee may have failed in writing consistencies but I believe it deserves praise for having gay characters. 

Glee's Team Gay: Kurt, Blaine, Santana, Brittany

Many have praised the Santana story line development, which has highlighted Naya Rivera's acting skills. I appreciated how, again, the writers did not try to overkill the story in Season 2. They slowly but surely planted the seeds during the season and sowed the fruits in the end. Others did not like the way Santana's coming out story was handled or how less and less the gay couples progressed once they've been in a relationship. Glee is not perfect.

Rizzoli & Isles (2010 - present) - A cop and a doctor (forensic, I think) team up to fight crime. I would have liked this series if not for its, or the writers', denial that the characters are not gay but continuing to put subtexts or insinuations that the two female leads may be gay. I think they're underplaying the story (or the possibility) too much to the point that it all seems weird that no one in Jane and Maura's circle of family, friends and work colleagues seem to wonder, or ask them, if they're into each other? I know, these friends and family are not...as corrupted or malicious as our mind is (hahaha!)...but really, no one even wonders or jokes about it.

Out at the Wedding (2007) - Like So Close, this movie centers on the relationship between estranged sisters Lexie and Jeannie. It starts out funny but ends weird because, I feel, it tries to accomplish a lot but miserably fails. 

Out at the Wedding's Team Gay

He's Such A Girl (2009) - This movie had potential (I suggest you watch the trailer only and stop there) but as the story progressed, everything just turned weird. It was creepy enough that Whitney (yes he's a guy) was not wondering why his girl friend, Taylor, continues to hang out with that Annoying Blonde Guy, who's obviously in love with her. Then, there's the "hand-massages" and blackmail. Then, the crazy pastor/father and all the Bible quoting. Then, to top it all off, the creepy blonde guy becomes a maniac and tries to drama-ized everything by ratting her out to the crazy pastor/father. Super weird. Finally, I think the movie gives out the (wrong) impression that being gay makes you: (a) look creepy (see the heavy eyeliner-ed, emo-looking Tara) or (b) become selfish (Taylor's sudden need for space and her harsh treatment of Whitney [wallet-throwing, come on?!]).

Gia (1998) - I am and always will be on Team Jolie but, hey, like Glee, she's not perfect. We know that with how well her life is going right now (How many kids does she and Brad have? Ten?) the rules of karma dictate that she has lived a not-so-super life before. For some, Gia is a good movie but the way I see it, it's a sloppy movie about a gay director (or was she a photographer? an actress?) lived, or tried to, with a lot of issues surrounding her. To be frank, I think this film is a lame excuse to see Angelina Jolie naked, and have passionate sex with an equally hot woman.

Chloe (2009) - Aside from Julianne Moore, I think this movie has nothing else going for it. It gives the impression that lesbian affection is dangerous. Actually, regardless of sexual orientation, I believe that too much of a good thing is always bad but...come on, a teen lesbian ruining a family? That is just creepy.

Go Fish (1994) - This one was weird/bad for many things: (1) the bad looking actors/actresses, (2) so-so story, (3) it's in black and white! and (4) lack of character development. If anything, this movie's significance to me has lead me to be critical of the movies I watch, regardless of the topic. The only thing I liked about this film is the ending spiel because it can be applied to just about anything... love, women, men, career, life. 

"Don't fear too many things, it's dangerous. 
Don't say so much, you'll ruin everything. 
Don't worry yourself into a corner; and just don't think about it so much. 
The girl you're gonna meet doesn't look like anyone you know. And when you meet her, your toes might tingle or might suppress a yawn. It's hard to say.  
Don't box yourself in; don't leave yourself wide open. 
Don't think about it every second but just don't let yourself forget. The girl is out there. Go fish."

Elena Undone (2010) - This movie is nothing more than being that movie that featured the longest on-screen lesbian kiss in mainstream film-making. I thought the Internet hype about this movie would mean or, at least, amount to something but, no, it's just disappointing. What disappoints/freaks me out the most (aside from the whole movie, hehe) is the ending. A married guy agrees to donate his sperm for the artificial insemination of his best friend, who is super lonely because she recently divorced her longtime pastor husband because she's gay and got dumped by her lesbian lover. Everything worked out well between Elena and Peyton but the idea of sharing a child with another couple is... super weird. Is it just me or do you also find this weird/creepy? The movie could've had a better ending but, no, the writers choose to make everyone (but the pastor/soon-to-be ex husband) happy and share a baby. This is weird. Weird, weird, weird.


No comments: