Saturday, April 28, 2007

Lessons from Gray: A Semi-Review of "Gray Matters"


I’m such a sap for light, romance flicks. The ones that leave you feeling good about yourself or the ones that leave the viewers adoring or wishing that the lead character were they, in real life. Well, my favorite flick, Sweet November is such a film. Maybe that’s why it’s my favorite. But the ending wasn’t. In truth, I don’t really like films with bad ending (a.k.a. those which features the lead characters not ending up together). But to my surprise, I really liked the film. Charlize Theron was adorable, and the perfect choice for the character.

And just recently (actually, today), I watched an offbeat “unusual” film entitled Gray Matters, which stars Heather Graham and Tom Cavanagh, with my younger brother. They were siblings, not lovers. Tom Cavanagh, lead actor for Ed reminds me a lot of Adrien Brody. Tall and lanky with an irresistible impish smile. Anyway, Heather Graham as Gray was, like Charlize, perfect. I love Heather’s way of portraying a quirky, hot but confused gay girl.

Basically, I liked the film for three reasons. One, because it’s a light, romance flick (which what made me decide to watch in the first place). Two, it stars my now-favorite Tom Cavanagh and the guy who played the Scottish taxi driver-slash-friend of Gray. Three, because of its moral lesson. Which is: Don’t let anyone tell you what you “should” be. Simple as that. And because of this, Gray had the guts to come out... and date. Fourth, the soundtrack was awesome.

One of my most favorite scenes from the movie was when Heather and Tom were inside the elevator, talking, after Tom had “broadcast” to Heather’s whole office (using webcams and PCs) that she is (gasp) a gay. Heather was crying and telling Tom that she feared coming out because of many things like not being able to hold hands with her partner while walking down the street without being gossiped or looked at, not being able to have kids, and, basically, because she felt alone. And she stayed “straight” jut because pretending to be one was easier and less fuss than coming out.

Somehow, I related to her. Not because I am gay but maybe because sometimes in my life I act as how other people perceive or expect me to be just because going against the flow is a hassle. Sometimes when I have mood swings and I realize that I am a loser for not having any boyfriend or any suitor for that matter, I think and feel that I’ll grow old alone, which is my ultimate fear (next to losing my mom, of course). Sometimes or most of the time, I think of swinging to the other side. Or better yet, swinging both ways to have a wider range of choices. As if I had a field to choose from in the first place. 




Angsty me no likey.





No comments: