Friday, June 15, 2007

The Luxury of a DVD/VCD Player

Growing up in the South (read: Laguna), my siblings and I were brought up in an conservative family setting. We ate our meals together. We ate vegetables regularly. We were reprimanded if we disobeyed house rules or didn't do what we were told. We got spanked--on the butt mostly--and every wrong deed was punished. We had study hours and TV hours. During examinations week, no one was allowed to watch TV before reviewing. We did not have cable or Internet connection. We are to be given cellphones upon reaching high school. Time spent on the telephone was limited also. It was these rules that disciplined us and helped us focus more on the more important things in life: School, studying and playing real games outside the house with our neighbors.


So when my mom bought (finally!) a DVD/VCD player, my siblings and I went crazy. We got excited at the thought of watching movies we missed or weren't allowed to see. We watched How To Lose A Guy in Ten Days, a movie I've wanted to watch since I saw its trailer. I was a big Kate Hudson fan a few years ago. The movie was hilariously funny but the plot was typical. But being a sap for romantic flicks, I liked it. More than that, I liked that I had the opportunity to watch it. This may sound crazy or creepy to most people (it's as if my siblings and I were deprived) but I appreciated how my parents wanted us to focus less on TV and more on... playing outside. 





Anyway, one movie we watched was Little Manhattan. A story about a boy's first love. Unexpectedly, I liked the movie. There were nice characters and the plot was... well, not ordinary. But the thing I liked the most about the movie was the main character Gabe (Josh Hutcherson) and Rosemary Telesco (Charlie Ray). If kids as young as they can be perceived/accepted to have romantic chemistry, they clearly had it. 

Thank god my mother decided to buy a DVD/VCD player. Hmm, what movies shall I watch next?




No comments: