Monday, April 9, 2007

Of writers and my very own “writer thing”

I always dreamed of being a writer. Not a journalist, but a feature story writer. The closest thing I came to achieving this dream is when I write (or try to) my own short story, and, of course, when I blog. My attempts to accomplish the former always turned futile because of either boredom or the un-creativeness bug that hits me whenever I’m half way to my own short story. On the other hand, this blog, I can say, brings out the inner dormant writer that lies beneath. Whether or not my dormant writer deserves to be unearthed remains to be an unanswered question. And I am happy that at least I can let out this “writer thing” that has been bugging me for years.


Anyway, just this morning, I read Letty Jacinto-Lopez’s article in the Philippine Star under the column, Purple Shades. First things first. The writers whom I admire are Celine Lopez (who I started to read when I was in high school pa), Barbara Gonzales (whom I discovered was a light-hearted read, recommended by my mother) and RJ Ledesma (whom I initially thought of as a bad writer just because he was a TV personality and host first). All three were PhilStar writers because that’s our paper, and I have grown accustomed to the style of the PhilStar that I can’t bear the thought of reading other papers.

Back to Letty Lopez’s article, it was entitled “Awake the inner bitch in you”. It was about the difference of being bitchy and catty, if there was any, and how to, as the title implies, awake the bitch in everyone. So this is the difference:

"When you’re catty, you cut people down out of anxiety (fear) or spite (malice). To you, everybody is a loser and therefore not worth your time or attention or friendship. If you do socialize, you do it out of need for company and to feed your already ready-to-burst ego. You feel so superior that no one can be your equal or better than you."

“To be a good bitch, you must focus on your creativity, your uniqueness. You must not be afraid to make mistakes. In fact, you use these mistakes as a starting point to bring out the courage to own up to these fumbles and feel within you a fount of emerging strength that could only make you better today than you were yesterday.”

I’m not gonna go into details of the article because that is tiring and kinda boring. But, the reason I posted this is for me to see whenever I post something here, and for me to decide if I am catty or bitchy. I guess, I’m the latter.


No comments: