I will adopt the original QNBS method for judging a show. 1. A friend recommends a TV show or I see an interesting review, or hear a sarcastic rant about it in the Internet. 2. I watch two episodes. 3. Write down what I think, Pros-Cons style.
Many series exist in TV world but today I will write about Spartacus: Blood and Sand.
Plot: A Thracian man goes to war, gets captured, loses his wife, trains as a gladiator and sparks a revolution.
1. The cast delivered fairly well acting performances.
1.1 Andy Whitfield as Spartacus. It was too bad he died of non-Hodgkins lymphoma and had to be replaced by Liam McIntyre.
|Andy Whitfield as the better Spartacus|
1.2 John Hannah as Lentulus Batiatus. The role was supporting, at best, but John Hannah portrayed the character really well.
1.3 Lucy Lawless as Lucretia. I didn't recognize the remnants--if there was any--of Xena, which was good because I feared Xena when I was younger. She brought class to Lucretia when another actress wouldn't have.
|Husband-wife: Lucretia and Batiatus|
1.4 Viva Bianca as Ilithyia. Second to Lawless, Viva Bianca provided the necessary strong woman character. I loved her chemistry with Lucretia in their few scenes together.
1.5 Craig Parker as Gaius Glaber. I loved how scheming Glaber was.
2. Everyone looked good on the eyes...
|Craig Parker's Beautiful Face: I. Can't. Get. Enough. Of.|
|And hers, too.|
3. Roman history. Gladiators. It reminded me of my Area Studies roots.
1. For a young barrio lass (read: me) Spartacus is an excuse for soft pornography. Although some of the sexual scenes were nicely videoed, I felt some were unnecessary.
2. The scenes were obviously shot at a studio with blue screen and what-not. It was obvious how everything was so up close and the background looked...so fake.
|Everything looked fake, compared to Game of Thrones.|
3. The fact that I had to watch the two episodes twice to be reminded what I thought and how I felt about this show is a setback in itself. Goes to show how forgettable all of it seemed to me. Well, the sex scenes I can do without.
|Blood, blood, blood.|
This is a guy's show. All the blood, the sex and the mystery will surely be a hit with the boys.
You may want to read other QNBS reviews:
Freaks and Geeks
Once Upon A Time
Game of Thrones 2
Game of Thrones 1
The IT Crowd
Rizzoli & Isles