Monday, October 31, 2011

QNBS: Community

As I get ready for Chuck's fifth and final season by re-watching every episode starting Season 1, I also embark on my Quest for the Next Best Series. Many series have been recommended but today I will write about Community.

Very condensed version of the plot: A lawyer whose license was suspended by the New York Bar until he gets a US college degree forms a Spanish class study group to sleep with the girl he likes. This unwilling group of people evolve into real friends as the series progresses.

Unlike Awkward, New Girl or Outsourced, I have watched two full 24-episode seasons of Community. In fact, I have watched four episodes of its third, newest season. It was aggressively recommended by two law blockmates, and watched by two others. All four's taste in films, TV and music more often than not coincide with mine, or whose choices/recommendations I later on like.


PROS:

1. Danny Pudi as Abed Nadir.

Abed in stop-motion animation

He's the token non-American supporting character (Ken Jeong's Senor Chang is the second.) but most of the time, he steals the show away from Joel McHale's lead character Jeffrey Winger. He's has Raj's weirdness, Barney's creativity, Zack Addy's and Thirteen's mystery, and Vincent Nigel-Murray's intelligence (of all things trivia). Add to these qualities, he has comic timing and charm (as shown in Intro to Political Science and For a Few Paintballs More).

Abed (channeling Hans Solo) and Annie share a kiss
that launched many fan videos on YouTube

2. Troy and Abed. Pudi's chemistry with Donald Glover's Troy is surely an unexpected but very much welcome development. It has generated a solid fan base (me included) starting from the Spanish rap they did at the end of Spanish 101.

Abed and Troy doing their epic Biblioteca rap

The show's recognition of this pair's tremendous chemistry was manifested by the end-credits stuff they did in most of Season 1's and partly of Season's 2 ending credits. My favorite was when Troy, Abed and Annie dressed like Jeff.

Troy, Annie and Abed spoofing Jeff...or trying to.

3. An episode lasts 20 minutes only. One thing I had to endure with Chuck, even if I love it, was that it lasts, on average, 40 minutes long. 20-minute shows (like The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother) are perfect for people with short-attention span like me.

4. It takes pop culture referencing to a higher (if not the highest) level. TBBT, HIMYM and Chuck only mentions pop culture references but Community lives it. Cougar Town, Doctor Who, Dungeons and Dragons, Pulp Fiction, My Dinner with Andre, Star Wars, Lost and so on. My favorite was when Abed thought everyone was stop-motion animated.

Abed finding out the meaning of Christmas in Lost

5. It has a strong cast of supporting characters, providing side stories to the study group's central/main story. The performances of Jim Rash (as Dean Pelton) and Ken Jeong (as Senor Chang) are laudable.

Black Ken Jeong is the funniest, creepiest thing I've seen on TV yet

6. John Oliver as Prof. Duncan. Just because I love British actors, no matter how sloppy their characters are.
Oh, how I wish the writers will try to pair him up with Britta.

CONS

1. I feel Shirley (played by Yvette Nicole Brown) is an unnecessary character. I initially felt Pierce (played by Chevy Chase) was unnecessary until I realized he's that character specifically written to be hated so that everyone else is loved. And since I loathe Pierce more than any clumsy/obnoxious protagonist in recent American sitcom/TV show history, I guess the writing and acting are good. But no matter how I look at it, I still consider the Shirley character dead weight. Yes, she does provide alternative POVs (as a mother, as a black woman, as a religious) but all of these can be provided by the other, more substantial characters.

2. I felt the Prof. Duncan character is not well-developed. But this observation might be clouded by the fact that I like his character, so we will consider this a half 'con' only.

3. I see the show going nowhere. Like any school-themed show, everyone will eventually graduate but with community college I have this feeling that the writers are not limited by this. The writers can make everyone stay at the community college longer than expected since, hey, no one's rushing to graduate anyway (maybe except for Jeff). Yes, there has been character development but the development is more backward-oriented rather than forward. Each detail added to a character's personality is a definition of who he/she is and not who he/she will be/wants to be. Yes, Abed wants to become a director but now what? Yes, from being a group of unwilling individuals brought together by Jeff's lust and their common cluelessness of Spanish, the group evolves/will evolve to a group of real friends...so?

I don't see a good end to this. Sometimes, the obvious pointlessness of an endeavor is enough to make me rethink of participating in it despite the promises and the good and fun things that may happen along the way. Yes, it's all about the journey but, for me, it's comforting to know everything/everyone will end up somewhere--wherever that end is.

4. Considering my effort and commitment to Community (three seasons in), I shouldn't be thinking twice about making Community the replacement for Chuck. But I am. And this, in itself, is something worth pondering on.


-------------------------

You may want to read other QNBS reviews:

QNBS: New Girl
QNBS: Awkward
QNBS: Outsourced


No comments: