Sunday, April 8, 2012

QNBS: The Inbetweeners

Chuck has ended. I am still reeling from its oh-so-perfect ending but I am unable to find its replacement. So I continue my Quest for the Next Best Series. Many series have been recommended but today, I will write about The Inbetweeners.

To recap, here is how I come up with these QNBS reviews: 1. A friend recommends them or I see an interesting review about it in the Internet. 2. I watch two episodes. 3. Write down what I think, Pros-Cons style.


Plot:  A story about a transfer student aka "one of the freaks" who tries, and succeeds, according to the opening credits, to be friends with three other not-so-school high school boys. "Anyone can be your friend if you hang around them long enough."


PROS:
1. It's British. The British accent blows me away. Constantly.

2. The opening credits. It reminds me of Juno, and I liked Juno.

3. It's a story about geeks or not-so-cool high school students. I am a big fan of geeks--no, nerds, as Chuck and Morgan like to be called--like Chuck, Troy, Abed, Sheldon, Leonard, Howard and Raj, and the Glee kids who were not into a sports varsity team or the Cheerios.

4. It's a little funny, especially the part in Episode 2 where the boys spread the rumor that Neil's dad is gay. Not cool if it's your dad they're talking about. But if it isn't, it's hilarious.

5. I noticed the dialogue and the boys do use the word "fuck" a lot. I guess British TV is liberal enough to allow it. I should looked at the British dictionary when I was punished for uttering "fuck you" when I was a kid. Haha

6. The boys (Simon Bird as Will McKenzie, Joe Thomas as Simon Cooper, James Buckley as Jay Cartwright and Blake Harrision as Neil Sutherland) have chemistry. However, the lead character, Will, annoys me but so did whiny Ted in Season 6 of How I Met Your Mother.


CONS:
1. It's The IT Crowd for high school, and I hated The IT Crowd. The Inbetweeners had less violence and was less slapstick but I found the lines outrageous and the reactions too over the top.

2. I had the time to write about a QNBS review months after I watched The Inbetweeners, and I barely remember a thing about it. This is bad.

3. Do British kids normally whisper or shout insults to newbies as they pass him in the halls wearing a blazer or weird shoes and carrying a briefcase? It's like an American high school movie, only longer.


I am too disappointed by this TV series I will not bother to add photos. Or maybe doing a review of Game of Thrones just before this one has something to do with my disappointment. I guess Game of Thrones is a tough act to follow--even in reviews.


------------
You may want to check other QNBS reviews:

QNBS: Game of Thrones 2
QNBS: Sherlock
QNBS: Suits
QNBS: Game of Thrones 1
QNBS: IT Crowd
QNBS: Rizzoli & Isles
QNBS: Community
QNBS: Awkward
QNBS: New Girl
QNBS: Outsourced



No comments: