Thursday, April 12, 2012

QNBS: Bent

Chuck has ended, and after 11 reviews, I decided to watch Once Upon A Time. But having the opportunity to criticize anything in a justified manner is so addicting that I have decided to continue my Quest for the Next Best Series. I will not rename the title because I don't have enough creativity to think of a new one.

I will adopt the original QNBS method for judging a show. 1. A friend recommends a TV show or I see an interesting review, or hear a sarcastic rant about it in the Internet. 2. I watch two episodes. 3. Write down what I think, Pros-Cons style.

--------------------------

Many series exist in TV world but today I will write about Bent.

Plot: A recently divorced uptight single mom wants to redo her kitchen and hires the services of a carpenter contractor to do the job.

Yes, that's basically the plot. I wonder how the writers will milk this story for what it's worth. Maybe they'll redo the living room after the kitchen's done.




PRO:
Amanda Peet. The only reason why this show is worth watching.

Jenkins is now a mom! 

CONS:
1. The guy lead aka Pete. I hate him. No words will suffice to convey my hate.

2. The story is kinda shaky. I don't see where the characters will be or how they will get there. Realistic endings are important for me. If the ending is not realistic, the road to the ending must at least be fun or funny. Neither is the case for Bent.

3. I got tired of the sexual tension-filled bickering between Amanda Peet and Pete eight minutes into the second episode. Yeah, I wonder how I lasted Bones and Booth for 5 seasons.

4. No offense but I'm not a big fan of carpenters contractors. And stories involving them or their friends who're also carpenters, electricians, plumbers etc.

5. Characters, like the story, seemed pointless. The surfer dude contractor gambling addict (yeah, a lot has been going on in this guy's life), the recently divorced uptight single mom, the frustrated-actor and 50 year old dad, and the crazy ex. All boring characters. Give me some Abed. Heck, I'd appreciate even a Shirley.


THE VERDICT:
This is a series that is bent and broken, and feels wrong in so many ways. 


----------------------------
You may want to look back on how other TV shows fared on the QNBS scale:


Once Upon A Time
The Inbetweeners
Game of Thrones 2
Sherlock
Suits
Game of Thrones 1
The IT Crowd
Rizzoli & Isles
Community
Awkward
New Girl
Outsourced



No comments: