Saturday, March 30, 2013

We can't be friends

I can see what you're trying to do. You're trying to be my friend. You make an effort to spend time together; to know what I like and tell me what you like. In your own weird way, you have tried to harmonize our (very) differing outlooks in life, likes and dislikes. 


However, no matter how valiant your effort is--and believe me I appreciate it because people rarely want to be my friend--I need to let you down now, when we aren't friends yet. We can't be friends. 



Not because you don't interest me. Not because I can't stand you or your "quirks" as my best friend calls it. Not because I can't temper your abrasiveness and weirdness with my sense of normalcy. Not because our weird senses of humor don't mix. Because you do. I do. We do. 



We can't be friends for the simple reason that I don't date friends. I don't want us to be friends. I want us to be more than that. 



So please forgive me if I step back a bit, if I proceed with caution when dealing with you. I do this because I like you, a lot.



I hope you do, too.


No comments: