Sunday, August 4, 2013

An Open Letter to the Only Gnome I Know

Hi Gnome!

I know this may seem weird coming from a total stranger but I just want to say that what that a--hole posted about you being the asshole for not continuing AYMU is totally not true. I admit that I suffered from the same flaw before. I used to be irked, as a reader of fan fiction, when authors don't complete their fics. For me, I saw it as inconsiderate. But since I started to write fiction, I understand better now.

First, fics are the writers'. I recognize that once the reader invests time (or maybe even something more than that) to a certain fic, that reader become as a part of that fic. But that doesn't mean the readers earns the right to resort to saying mean things to the writer, anonymously. No one earns that right. Yes, we are entitled to our own opinions but if someone wants to criticize the writer, I think he/she should have the decency to reveal him/herself to the writer.

So to that bad-mouthing asshole who say mean things to you, Gnome, I say: Come out coward.

Second, the reasons why you chose not to continue the fic are yours, and you don't owe us, as readers, an explanation. The least you could do (and you did) was inform us of your decision to discontinue it so we'd stop waiting for updates, and we get a chance to preserve it as a pdf file (or whatever) before you entirely removed it from ff.net.

I understand now, as a fic writer, that:

(a) Fics are hard to write--even bad ones like mine haha--and I can only imagine the effort you give just to come out with something as great as I Need A Medic; and

(b) Most often than not, real life gets in the way of writing. We are, after all, employed citizens of the world who need to earn money to be able to eat and have access internet to publish our stories. Well, there may be some who can spend 24/7 on the Internet but they are a rarity, and I'm sure we don't want to be like them. We have lives to live and people to love. Or maybe, you just can't find the drive for AYMU now as you had then when you started it. Bottom line is, you have your reasons and we, as readers, should respect that.

Third, it is counterproductive to bash the writer if we want him/her to continue the fic he/she chose to discontinue. No matter what people say, positive reinforcement amounts to something. And mean words--not even disguised as a criticism in this case--will not bear anything good. Yes, I would be disheartened--pissed even--if you suddenly discontinue I Need A Medic (which I really like) but that doesn't give me a right to bash you. And I won't.

I apologize for the length of this piece. I guess I got carried away. But I hope I got my points across. I agree with you 100%, authors are people too. They deserve respect much like everyone does, even if they chose to stop writing the things we have grown to love.

My dear gnome I hope you don't get disheartened by a--holes who say mean things to you. Please know that in this universe there are others who continue to be fans of your work. I am one of them. I treat every update of I Need A Medic as a blessing. It may not come often--if at all--but when it does, I appreciate it, and am thankful.

Thank you, gnome.


No comments: