Saturday, February 14, 2015

Cap ou pas cap?

Although I rarely have time to sit down and draw nowadays, drawing (and painting) has always been a source of reprieve, especially during times when everything seems to fall apart. Each work of art I've created is close to my heart. Giving a friend a painting (oil and acrylic on canvas, which took almost a month to make) when I was in high school is probably the sweetest thing I did for another person, aside from going to Dangwa to personally buy flowers for my mom on her 50th birthday when I was in college.

Recently, I had this crazy idea of giving a friend a simple card for Valentine's Day. Not to confess love but to let that person know how appreciated they are. It seemed a fun and harmless idea but as February 14 drew near, my nerves got the better of me. I still created the card but I don't plan to give it any time soon.

So here is how the card turned out.



This card is a tribute to one of my favorite movies, Jeux d'enfants (Love Me If You Dare). In the movie, Julien gave Sophie this small tin box, a gift from his sick mother, to cheer her up. As they grew older, they used this small tin box to exchange dares. With the words "cap ou pas cap?" (Are you able or not able?), they challenge each other to complete a dare the other has created. 

---

Love is a scary thing. To choose to be with the person you love takes courage that not everyone has. For me, falling in love and being with that person, at this time in my life, is not only scary but also takes a lot of work and effort that I'd rather spend on other things like...becoming a lawyer. 

I made this card today with the hope that maybe next year (or the year after that) I will be able to hand this to the one I love and say, "cap ou pas cap?"

No comments: