Thursday, December 3, 2015

A Short Asssessment of My 25th Year on Earth


My 25th year was all about staying on track, on the road to The Timeline. It was about discipline, focus and dedication. From passing all my subjects to graduating on time, and, ultimately, preparing for and taking the Bar examinations. 

UP Law Batch 2015 had roughly four months (from what used to be six months) to prepare for the Bar exams because of the academic calendar shift. Those four months were physically, mentally and emotionally draining. It took everything we had to give and more. It reminded me of Prof. Avena's Civil Procedure class--only 10x harder. Because it was my dreams on the line. The consequences of not passing the Bar is so great, it's scary.

I may have neglected interpersonal relationships for this greater goal. I may have passed upon the opportunity to create new friendships or to build on existing ones, and chose to cling to what I already have proven to be reliable--my family, my Neutrals, my sorority sisters and a handful of law school friendships. 

In this process, I also had to let go of the relationships that have brought me nothing but heartache this past year. It was not an easy decision to make but it had to be done. There are some things in life that are beyond saving.

My 25th year was not the best, or most ideal, year of my life. I am still so far away from my life goals. But in the past year, I was forced to grow, to mature, and be a better person in just a little time. I also learned that putting myself first, above anyone, is not wrong. Because, after all, being happy is being selfish. 

I hope my 26th year will be about having enough courage. To stop being afraid of the unknown. To be more open. To be more free.




No comments: