Sunday, July 25, 2010

'Type' Kita

One of my lesser (but in the end, will be one of the greater) concerns regarding law school life is the handwriting part. I have (or I'd like to think that I do have) substance in writing but I lack the form part. I may have bright and not-so bright ideas but sometimes I have a difficulty conveying them without the use of technology.

Example: I have lots of things going on in my head; lots of opinions on everything... well, basically, I have a lot to say but I have a difficulty conveying these ideas through public speaking. Being an Org president and law student, people readily (and quite wrongly) assume that I take public speaking with ease. No I don't. Second to performing in front of many people, this is one of my greatest fears. I find it relatively easier to write down my thoughts rather than actually speak them.

But, here's the problem... the writing part is actually typing. In order for me to be able to convey successfully my thoughts and ideas to other people--which, for me, is the main point of communication--I have to use technology. Thus, I type relatively well compared to most people. I type better than I write. :)

You see, I'm one of those gifted people who draws and does lettering wayyy better than writing. My brother Jay and I blame our faulty handwriting to not being strictly-taught by our father, who taught ate Jane who has one of the clearest handwriting in the world, and to being taught to write by a pre-school named "Quick Learners." Haha, quick indeed.

My nearly indiscernible Morse Code-like handwriting was one of the reasons why I thought of entering Med school instead of law school. People kept saying, "Ang pangit naman ng sulat mo, pang-doktor." Doctors, as I was told, had an excuse for having a not-so legible handwriting because the burden of proof, haha, of understanding their handwriting lie on the pharmacists who read the prescriptions they wrote. They weren't forced to try to have a more legible handwriting.

In contrast, law school is all about writing. That exams are handwritten, that some profs prefer handwritten case digests, that the bar exam is all about four Sundays of writing legibly, and as I learn through the Leg Big homework earlier this week, that even homeworks are handwritten. Oops.

To be honest, I was surprised, and to a point relieved, to find out that I was not the only one, in our block at least, to have the scrappiest handwriting but others had the handwriting thing going for them. And I mean, really. They were like lean-mean breathing handwriting machines.

Here are a couple of photos of the handwriting of my blockmates...

Kirby's


Richard's

and mine...

Although I was not alone in having a not-so legible handwriting, I realized, sadly, that mine was one of the most indiscernible ones.

Hayyy. Another area to improve. And I'm not even concerned about passing the bar exams, I'm thinking about passing my exams this semester.

---------------------------------------------
Sana pwedeng i-type na lang ang sagot sa exams. :/

1 comment:

cAmz said...

nakakamiss ang sulat mo JO!
hahaha. goodluck!