Monday, August 23, 2010

Before Things Get More Bitter

Last year, I waited 'til the announcement of winners before I wrote my 61st Emmy blog entry, thinking that my favorites like The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother and House would win in their respective categories--but they didn't. It turned out to be an ampalaya entry, if you know what I mean.

Before the rest of the winners of this year's Emmys will be announced on the 29th of August (the winners in other categories have been announced; except for the "big" ones), here's my take on the nominees, and who I think should win--as if my opinion matters at all, and before this whole thing becomes moot and academic. Hehe


Outstanding lead actor in a comedy series
Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory) should outrightly win this thing this time. Please Emmys, Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) won over Sheldon last year, don't make the same mistake again this year. It would've been nice if Zachary Levi was nominated for Chuck but I guess the show's not that Emmy-worthy(?) yet. I predict that the year Chuck gets nominated will be the same year Zac Levi, Joshua Gomez or even Adam Baldwin will be nominated as well.

Outstanding lead actress in a comedy series
Since Kaley Cuoco (The Big Bang Theory) was snubbed this year, I'm rooting for Tina Fey (30 Rock) who lost to Toni Collette (United States of Tara), who's not in this year's list, last year. Go Tina!

Outstanding lead actor in a drama series
Hugh Laurie (House) lost last year to Cranston (Breaking Bad)--also a nominee this year--so I expect the Emmys to give this year's trophy to the much-deserving Laurie for the season premiere of House last season (Season 6), which I heard was what he submitted for judging.

Outstanding lead actress in a drama series
I'm not familiar with any of the actresses nominated in this category, nor the shows they were nominated for. It's either I don't watch that much high-end drama or the ones I watch are snubbed or are not Emmy-worthy. Cases in point: The women of Desperate Housewives, a series which I decided to stop following religiously for the simple reason that I got bored somewhere along the way, and Lisa Edelstein of House. Maybe next year, Cuddy.

Outstanding comedy series
How could How I Met Your Mother not be nominated this year?! The doppelgangers were funny. The Playbook was funny. The SlapBet is still funny. And how could the guys at Emmys not find The Sexless Innkeeper skit not funny?!? Or the "not good enough" *plus whipping sound* by Marshall. Oh boy. This is the major snub of the year!

And for the third straight year, The Big Bang Theory is snubbed yet again. Okay, maybe I skipped on finishing the rest of Season 3 but hey, I just had to prioritize my time. The show is still funny--regardless if I'm watching it or not.

Chuck was also snubbed. Again, I predict that the year Chuck gets nominated, Zac Levi, Joshua Gomez or even Adam Baldwin will be nominated as well. So let's all wait for that. Season 4, maybe?
Considering these snubs, which breaks my heart beyond words, I vote for 30 Rock, since it has been winning the past couple of years--or maybe Glee, with its freshman luck, can snatch it.

Outstanding drama series
How could House not be nominated this year?! Is the Chase-killing-a-patient-which-leads-to-Cameron-leaving storyline not enough drama?! And really, LOST?! 'Nuff said. Seriously, is my taste completely the opposite of the Emmys? I predict--no, I wish for--a Dexter win. Just to spite perennial winner, Mad Men.

Oustanding supporting actor in a comedy series
Last year, Jon Cryer (Two and a Half Men) beat out HIMYM's Neil Patrick Harris, and I would think that this year it would just be downright absurd if NPH will lose to the same man for the second straight year. But Chris Colfer (Glee) is maybe--just maybe--headed for big upset this year. May the better man win. ;)
I'm sure Glee fans are raving about this nomination--maybe more than the Lea Michele nomination for Outstanding actress in a comedy or the Matthew Morrisson nomination for oustanding lead actor in a comedy--just because Colfer has greater chances of winning than Michele and Matthew.

Oustanding supporting actress in a comedy series
I predict Jane Lynch (Glee) winning this over everyone else, hands down. Sue is like the girl-Barney (only in a meaner, not too sex-driven way). They're both very effective "villains with good qualities" or "protagonists with off-beat qualities."

Oustanding supporting actor in a drama series
I guess I don't watch much drama except for House, and Wilson, Chase and Foreman and even Taub failed to make the cut. I wonder if Kutner would've had a better chance in getting nominated if he lived.

Oustanding supporting actress in a drama series
It turns out Burn Notice is a drama series! Sharon Gless for the win! No one can play Michael Westen's "cool" mom better than Gless.

So there you go. My predictions. But if I may add my own category...

Perennial Snub Award
One last thing though, in the list of this year's nominees and last year's, I wonder... where the hell is BONES? Yes, Chuck and The Big Bang Theory, equally great shows, were absent in the past two years and that's understandable considering they were on for four and three seasons, respectively, but Bones has been airing for five seasons already! Isn't that enough for a nomination? Or people at the Emmys are having a hard time classfying what the show is... is it a comedy, or is it drama? I'd go for drama though. Or Bones just don't have what it takes, which is complete B.S.

IT OBVIOUSLY HAS WHAT IT TAKES. They're just not looking hard enough. The Eric Millegan-Emily Deschanel (as Zack Addy and Dr. Temperance Brennan, respectively) scene in the Gormogon episode, which was also a season finale a season ago, was certainly worth something. Too bad it wasn't recognized, as with the other Bones episodes.



------------
Good thing, in the 32nd Daytime Emmy Awards, The Ellen DeGeneres Show won over last year's winner Rachael Ray for Outstanding entertainment talk show. Good. One win down, more to go. :)

No comments: