Sunday, May 6, 2012

Things I Missed from Glee's Season 1 (Part 1)

Despite my time constraints, I still find time (usually during sembreaks) to watch Glee even if a lot of people tell me not to. Even the person who introduced me to Glee has stopped watching it. That's how bad it got. The story may have taken a wrong turn somewhere along the way but the songs and the singers have gotten, in my simple not musically inclined opinion, better.

Whenever I don't get a story line, which is very frequent, I always chalked it up to the writers' failure (deliberate or involuntary) to make stories connect or make one cohesive story. But as I Google-d the episode titles to rename my files (yes I'm OC like that), I discovered that I did miss 9 episodes from  Glee's first season. Maybe that's the reason (or at least one of the reasons) why I didn't get Mr. Schue when he said Mercedes helped Quinn during her pregnancy or that Santana got Finn to lose his virginity to her or that Jesse was once a member of New Directions.

Since I missed 9 episodes--which, I realize, is a lot--I'll divide the list into three, with three episodes per article.


So Here's What I Missed in Glee's "Hell-O", "Power of Madonna" and "Home":

1. Finn's a basketball player. He's such an athlete that he can just join the basketball varsity team when football season's over, without even joining practices. He makes basketball look easy--not in a good way.

"Look, playing basketball is so easy I can even sing while playing."
-Finn Hudson The Greatest  McKinley High Athlete of All Time

2. Sueggins. Sue blackmails Principal Figgins with photos of them in suggestive poses (with Sue in her track suit!) so she can return to McKinley and run it.

Jane Lynch is hilarious.

3. Willby. Of course, the teachers/coaches of two rival glee clubs must hook-up. It's the law... in Teacher's Land. Another example will be Will and Ms Holiday. I bet Will eyed Senor Martinez also.

This would have given Rachel a reason to call Mr. Schue "Dad". Eww.

4. Pinkies and matching friendship bracelets. Seeing early glimpses of Brittana made me wonder if the writers of Glee really planned to reveal that Santana is a lesbian and Inception-ed the idea in our minds as early as season one so that we would think it was just right that they fell in love in season two? Or they just threw in the friends-with-benefits angle just to toy (and trick them into following the show) with the ladies of afterellen.com?

It all started from this.

5. Terri vs. Emma. While Will is busy making out with Rachel's birth mother, his estranged wife and new girlfriend lash out at each other. Before, when I was still clueless that I was missing episodes of Glee's season 1, I thought Terri just faded out into the background (and joined Sue's henchmen) as Emma emerged from it. Turns out, they had the face off.

Terri vs. Emma

7. Brittany's funny one-liners. Mr. Schue introduces Jesse as the new member of New Directions and everyone has a violent reaction except for Brittany who says: "Is he your son?" How could you not laugh at that? It was so funny and dumb-sounding but Brittany had a good point. Mr. Schue and Jesse did look alike. Also, I noticed Jesse looks like a male version of Rachel Berry. They're like a family three (see what I did there?); it's creepy.

Brittany: Mr. Schue, is he your son?

8. Sue channels Madonna. When I watched season 3's "Saturday Night Gleever" and Sue said Mr. Schue has never gotten anything since doing a Madonna assignment, I remembered the Glee Madonna album a friend gave me. Then, I realized that despite seeing the videos or listening to the songs, I have never watched that episode. Or maybe, I have selective memory. Anyway, Sue channeling Madonna is, honestly, weird but the black-boob-bra thing over the red jumpsuit was so funny and so Sue Sylvester.

Sue as Madonna is both weird and hilarious.

8. Kurt and Mercedes were Cheerios. I have to say, Kurt is the most well-rounded high school student I know. He's part of the glee club, joined the football team (and even won a game using Single Ladies) and now, he's a cheerleader.

Sue reacting to Kurt's and Mercedes' handshake: Why don't you two have a show a Bravo?

9. Santana was a skinny bitch. Now she's just a straight-up bitch. Haha. In a span of three years, she gained a few pounds (maybe because she wasn't a Cheerio for sometime in Season 2) and became Brittany's girlfriend. Not bad.

Santana the Skinny Bitch

10. Birth of Bert and Carol. Like the Shelby (and later, when Santana came out to her parents), I thought Bert and Carol met in behind the scenes and just hooked up. But, no, it turns out Kurt was instrumental in the merging of the Hummel-Hudson household.

The first Hummel-Hudson dinner at Breadsticks

11. Finn singing to a chair. This is one of those forgettable parts of Glee but seeing someone sing to an empty chair is really funny it's worth mentioning. I guess I like to say, when I look back at Glee, "Remember the time when Finn sang to a chair?" This is that moment.

"Remember the time when Finn sang to a chair?"

12. "Remember the time when everyone looked like food to Mercedes?" This reminds me of Robin in her manatee suit in the episode "The Mermaid Theory" and the other outrageous costumes the How I Met Your Mother gang wear on Halloween. It reminds me of Community, too.

This i what the Glee kids should wear if and when they cross over to Community.

13. The Mercedes and Quinn moment. This is one of those necessary moments in a story about a group of friends. Moments that they look back to, to remind them that this person who has backstabbed them has been a friend in during one's trying times. This is Mercedes' and Quinn's moment. Glad to know it exists.

The MerQuinn Moment


-----------------------------------
Things I Missed from Glee's Season 1 Parts 2 and 3 will be up soon.


No comments: