Sunday, May 20, 2012

Things I Missed from Glee's Season 1 (Part 3)

Despite my time constraints, I still find time (usually during sembreaks) to watch Glee even if a lot of people tell me not to. Even the person who introduced me to Glee has stopped watching it. That's how bad it got. The story may have taken a wrong turn somewhere along the way (my guess is Season 2) but the songs and the singers have gotten--from a simple not musically inclined perspective--better.

Whenever I don't get a story line, which is very frequent, I always chalked it up to the writers' failure (deliberate or involuntary) to make stories connect or make one cohesive story. But as I Google-d the episode titles to rename my files (yes I'm OC like that), I discovered that I did miss 9 episodes from  Glee's first season. Maybe that's the reason (or at least one of the reasons) why I didn't get it when Mr. Schue said Mercedes helped Quinn during her pregnancy or that Santana got Finn to lose his virginity to her or that Jesse was once a member of New Directions.

Since I missed 9 episodes--which, I realize, is a lot--I'll divide the list into three, with three episodes per article.


So Here's What I Missed in Glee's "Theatricality", "Funk" and "Journey":

1. FURT share a room! The storyline was simple but it was real. Teenage boys do freak out at the thought of sharing a room with another guy... moreso a gay person. This isn't politically correct behavior but that doesn't make it any less real. It makes me miss the time when the writing in Glee was better.

The beginning of the Hummel-Hudson household

2. The Glee club kids have wonderful, well-written moments with their parents. By the way, Lea Michele and Idina Menzel's version of Lady Gaga's Poker Face is good. Listen to it here.

I'm Rachel Berry. I'm your daughter.

Saying goodbye to your mother as quickly as you said hello.

BURT HUMMEL, YOU ARE MY HERO.

3. The Glee kids dress like Lady Gaga... because Principal Figgins thinks that vampires are real and that Tina should dress more differently and Finn offended Kurt by speaking of a faggy lamp.

Not bad for a shower curtain, Finn.

4. Puck sings. His solos (and lines) got less when other guys like Sam, Blaine, Rory and Joe came along. And the writers chose to focus on other characters more.

Back when Puck was busy singing 

He sang a lot that he even has a line in the New Directions' Regionals performance.

5. Just like her funny father Senor Chang (HAHAHAHA) Tina vampires the hell out of Principal Figgins.

Abed's dad vs. Senor Chang's daughter: Really funny.

6. The bro-mance that is FUCK. Finn and Puck bust (26 X 4) tires, get busted, works at Sheets and Things and sings about it.

The Fuck Bromance

Surprisingly I enjoyed their rendition of Beck's Loser. 

7. Wue? Sill? Will seduces Sue to break her spirit. The image of Mr. Schue singing that funk song to Sue was weird. It's one of those memories you can forget, or scenes that you can un-watch from your memory. I guess Season 1 was really about trying out different pairings to see what works and what doesn't. Sue and Mr. Schue don't.

MY EYES!!!!!

8. Quinns sings with The Unwed Mothership Connection. You can watch a video of their (Insert Adjective Here) performance here. (Note: Please disregard the language if you can't understand it. I couldn't find a decent video of the song on YouTube.)

I would take Jeffster over this any day.

9. A Crying Santana Lopez, the proper measure of sadness in all the land.

Mr. Schue, how could you?!

10. MerQuinn Moment Part 2. Mercedes is a good friend... when she's not busy going diva on everyone (Remember that time when Lauren Zizes was her manager?). Aside from helping Quinn, she also helped Kurt when his dad had a heart attack.



11. Kurt wins Nationals for the Cheerios

...and Sue holds him like a proud mom.

12. Josh Groban judges Regionals. He liked Rachel's voice and the New Directions' heart but changed his mind after Olivia Newton John questioned Sue's celebrity status. I liked the vampire judge from Season 3's Regionals better.



13. Quinn gives birth to Beth. A fact that the writers forgot in Season 2 and remembers too well in Season 3. Too well that Quinn turns into a Crazy Mother Bitch.

When Quinn was a mother... for an hour or so.

14. Sue gives the New Directions one more year ...just to have a group to go up against.

Sue: I relish the thought of another full year of constantly besting you.

--------------------
You may want to check:


Things I Missed From GLEE's Season 1 (Part 1)
Things I Missed From GLEE's Season 1 (Part 2)


No comments: