Friday, February 22, 2008

Believing

A simple word can't express the amount of hate I feel.

I hate it that certain people (and this girl from LaSalle) kept urging me, Dette and Vic to join this frigging rally, walkout. Yes, I went to RH steps for grade's sake. Anthro 1 and all. But I realize that for me to "enjoy" joining this thing called the walk-out I should first and foremost believe in it. Not just believe that I will get a plus for it.

And how can I believe when the person/s, or some of them, initiating this walkout are not the ones "I look up to". Yes, Randy David was there (according to Dette, I did not see him). But really, was he my role model?

I know I will get raps, sneers and not-so-great comments behind my back because of this things that I am writing, being in UP and all. I do know my responsibility as an Iskolar ng Bayan. But I have my ways to do it. I don't do rallies or walkouts. They are not my kind of thing.

Call me whatever you want, I will stand by what I believe in. I have my ways of showing my contempt for this government they call "evil".

But really, I ask all of you who went there, do you really believe something will happen? In the event the present president is ousted, who will replace her? I'm sure whoever it is, in a few years time, another walkout will be organized to oust that person.

Ate Alj from Gabriela (though I'm not part of it, I tambay there) confronted me, weeks ago, with answer to this question. She said, "Kung sino pa ang tinatanong mo ikaw ang may problema. Dahil ang tanong na dapat ay ano." She then told me all about this transition council that they were planning in the event the President is ousted.

But I still stand my ground. Not only by way of rallies or walkouts can we express our contempt for whomever/opinion on whatever issue. I believe there are ways, peaceful ways . . .

Call me a functionalist or a control freak or whatever for believing and wanting peace and order (to some this is status quo) all the time.

Then, so be it.

No comments: