Friday, February 29, 2008

Wow: serious and funny aspects of the elections

Having read a couple (actually more than a couple) of blog entries on the upcoming UPManila elections, I was, in a way, "encouraged" to write my views. *Gasp* Finally I get to write, or have the courage to write, about this thing they call the "elections".

We, the students of the University, are fond of seeing the wrong and/or the bad in the current status of Philippine politics. Moreso during elections. With the corruption, deception and all. But, let us look at ourselves. In the University nowadays, since the elections is just a week ahead, polliticking is evident. Like issues of smear campaigns, black propagandas, and others.

Another "issue" that bugs me is that the candidates are just, basically, unknowns. With exception to the likes of Mr. Go, Ms. Deligente, and some other incumbents, everyone else is, really, newbies. Yes, I know they say being a "newbie" is good because it gives the voters a choice, and they have "fresh and uncorrupted" minds/goals. But, I ask, is being a newbie a way of . . . pursuing one's personal interests, or his/her party's/coalition's/supporters', and just exploiting one's kagwapuhan or kagandahan to win, and well, be sikat?

With the emergence of these color-coded new candidates, I feel like they just woke up one day and decided (or was enlightened, haha) to run for whatever position they feel they would/could win. And as Kuya Reighben from our Hum1 class put it, politics in UPM is a politics of introduction, with the onset of these "new" personalities.

I have nothing against them personally. But it pains me to see these newbies, running independently or with a party, "exploiting" the people's power to vote. They use charms and porma rather than true platforms/agendas.

Tsk. What a controversial topic politics is.

**********

On a lighter note, I was amused at the witty and sometimes pathetic-sounding one-liners of the candidates.

Here are some of them. To those who know the candidates who said the following please don't take them personally. Nakakatawa lang talaga.

"Kenny's Careplan" --- This sounded like a diaper brand (to Vic) and an insurance policy (to me). ;D

"Dahil kay Kenny, ikaw ang bida." ---Hay, favorite ko na talaga 'tong si Kenny. hahah

"Dahil kay Ian Manalang, panalo ka." ---Did I get his surname right? ;D

"V for . . . " ---I forgot what Vs the candidate enumerated. Pero familiar 'yung line. 'Kala ko nga, in the end, sasabihin niya . . . Vendetta. haha. Natalie Portman!

At ang pinakabida sa lahat . . .

"Dahil kay *toot* Placido, bagay tayo." ---Ano raw? haha Masyado siyang pacute, as in with matching paawa face and tantalizing, ehem, eyes. Come on, give me a break. hahaha, sorry kuya.

No comments: