Sunday, February 17, 2008

Cummings and goings

i have found what you are like
by e.e. cummings


i have found what you are like
the rain,

(Who feathers frightened fields
with the superior dust-of-sleep. wields

easily the pale club of the wind and
swirled justly souls of flower strike

the air in utterable coolness

deeds of green thrilling light
with thinned

newfragile yellows

lurch and.press

-in the woods
which
stutter
and

sing


And the coolness of your smile is
stirringofbirds between my arms; but
i should rather than anything
have (almost when hugeness
will shut quietly) almost,
your kiss

---------------------------------------------

This is my memorized version of e.e. cummings' poem that I used for my Hum1 oral poetry reading/discussion/exam(!) I tried to have the patented pa-Stariray effect using rainstorm soundeffects but the plan backfired. My Silently Terrifying Professor said, "Can you please turn that off?" Oh god. So I turned the iPod off in the most unaffected manner that I can muster at that moment. But inside, it affected my speaking drive--whatever was left of it.

Then, as I was done explaining the "hidden meanings" of the said poem, my 
Silently Terrifying Professor stood up and said (after I sat back into my seat) that (my rough translation) "For us to appreciate the beauty of a flower, we do not need to rip it apart."

As I took my seat, I asked my seatmate, "Ano? Kamusta? (How was I?)"
She replied with a smile, "You ripped apart the flower."

Oh. Dear. God.




No comments: