Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Cybersuicide

To borrow from Hamlet (I think): "To kill or not to kill, that is the question."

Last Saturday I read Pepe Diokno's article in PhilStar's Supreme fold (which, I think, is by far the BEST feature of the said paper). Yes, you guessed it right. It's on cybersuicide. I'm against plagiarism so I'm citing him. ;D

Well, cybersuicide, by the word itself, means, quite literally, killing yourself cyber-wise. It's when you DELETE all sorts of online accounts you have. Like the "biggest network" Friendster, Multiply, Facebook, LiveJournal, and even, Blogger and Wordpress. As in, everything. And to stretch it, you google yourself and try to delete every ounce of reliable information the Internet has on you. Thus, after it, you declare yourself, dead.

Pepe Diokno did the same thing because, as his article implies, he broke up with someone and just a few weeks after, he sees the girl in the arms of a "scrawny (expletives deleted) young man". And because booze and friends could not provide enough solace to forget this certain girl, he kills himself. Cyber-wise, I repeat.

But he cautions us though. That before anyone attempts to "imitate" him, and kill themselves as well, we should all think twice. Thrice, if needed. Ponder on the things that will be lost and gained with this suicide. Weigh the pros and cons.

And ask yourself, "Am I ready to die?"

We are, as I write, in times when "emo-ness" are "in" (or should I say common?). That we one becomes emotional and nearly suicidal, it's okay.

But, be prepared, because with the popularity of tons of online accounts, there will be a time, in the near-future I predict, when cybersuicide will be the "in" thing. People will just be bored of connecting and publishing themselves online, and decide, unabashedly, that it is time. Time to end their life. Or . . . regain it.

No comments: