Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Scrubs: Yes I took the hit*

Here's a hint: If I like someone/something, I quote it. Books, authors, songs, TV shows, a famous/infamous personality, celebrity, politician, whatever. If I quote he/she/it, then there's a good chance that I like it/him/her/them.

The Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
Chuck
Dr. Thirteen (House)
Bones--but not too much because there's not much to quote anyway
Chuck Palahniuk--really, this guy is clever with lines
Jonathan Lethem
Chinua Achebe
Mohsin Hamid
J. P. Donleavy
Leonardo DiCaprio
Nelson DeMille--I quoted this guy and I won P1000worth of Globe load (The first time I really won at something that involved luck). I didn't claim the load though. Haha. The line: The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you're finished. Clever, huh.
Barbie Almalbis-Honasan
Gino dela Paz
William Shakespeare
Colin Hay
Alexi Murdoch
Hootie & the Blowfish
Joshua Radin
Tristan Prettyman
Jason Mraz
Jason Mraz again
Snow Patrol
and so on...

I'm really into Scrubs now, since the abovementiond series/shows I'm into are either ongoing--which means I only get to see an episode a week--or are in hiatus/break. I am what some may call a late-bloomer when it comes to liking/loving Scrubs (hey it's already going on its 9th season when I picked it up) but you see, the saying/cliche "better late than never" not only applies to school/work stuff. Just to give you an idea how "late" of a bloomer I am in terms of series and TV shows, I haven't watched a single complete episode of Friends. Yes, in all its 10-season run, I haven't watched a full episode--though I am aware who the characters are, just not to be baduy or on the receiving end of the rhetorical yet degarding question, "What rock have you been hiding under?"

So anyway, back to quoting. Here's a good line from JD (aka Dr. John Michael Dorian) of Scrubs:

"Because even if it breaks your heart to be 'just friends',
if you really care about someone, you'll take the hit."

Okay.  So maybe one of the reasons why I like/love Scrubs is because I'm a romantic sap and all that. Maybe. But really. I like the show because:

1) It's less than 30mins an episode. I barely notice the time I spent just watching it. You see, I have a very short attention span. Where was I? Hahaha joke lang. But really, time constraints me to a particular show/series. Time--the same reason why I got hooked on The Big Bang Theory (and other "short-episoded" series) and not, say, Fringe (look, I've had a crush on Joshua Jackson ever since he was Pacey but really, that show's longgggggg), and just recently, House (which I hope to marathon-through once Season6 is finished :D).

2) It's funny. Not The-Big-Bang-Theory funny but the How-I-Met-Your-Mother-meets-House-meets-Chuck funny. Yeah. That's three of my favorite shows rolled into one. :)

3) The storyline/characters are great. Really. I don't particularly love/like anyone to separate themselves from the pack--like I do Barney or Marshall or Zack or Bones or Chuck or Raj or Sheldon... you get my point do you? I like it that I'm not liking a particular character to single him/her out--because sometimes that could be a bad thing because you're playing favorites and taking sides. I just love (and hate) them all! Hahaha

4) The guest stars are great! I'm watching Season2 (out of the eight that's already shown, season 9's coming up this December 2009) and they've already guested Tom Cavanaugh(!), Colin Hay (yeah, they even guested one of my favorite singers, see what I mean?) Brendan Fraser, David Copperfield, Sarah Lancaster (yeah, Ellie Bartowski!), Sean Hayes (Jack of Will & Grace, as a guy--as in not gay, sorry nasanay lang--medical intern), Heather Locklear, Ryan Reynolds, Richard Kind (you may not know the name but believe me you've seen the guy/that face in some movie/TV show from way back you can't remember exactly), and others you may have seen somewhere but I haven't. Haha

5) I love the music! Joshua Radin! Colin Hay! and a lot of other wonderful stuff I haven't heard of but am loving/will love. :) I realized I can't--since, uh, How I Met Your Mother--love a TV show/series without a good soundtrack. Well, The Big Bang Theory technically doesn't have a soundtrack but having Barenaked Ladies sing your opening theme just about makes up for it.


------------------------------
*This is not originally a QNBS post but it can, sort of, be considered as such. Except for the possibility of me choosing it as the best since I've finished watching all of it.

**Btw, one of the reasons (who knows, maybe it's the only one) I liked that JD line was because... once a upon a time, in the Kingdom of Nowhereland, during the Time That I'd Rather Push Into The Dark Crevice Known As My Memory, I did took the hit... for a friend. Actually, I did it twice. 

No comments: