Monday, April 25, 2011

Quintet 2: Holy Week Playlist

Quintet is a monthly music review of any five songs I happen to come across/stumble upon, or were recommended, any how, any time. Suggestions from readers are most welcome because music deserves to be shared. Let me be your convert or critic.


This second edition of Quintet features five songs I came across in different ways, and listened to during the Holy Week break. Some were recommended by friends, one I discovered while watching a movie, and one I liked when the biggest crush of my life announced his engagement on TV.


In the Beginning by K'naan
On the night of 420, I had the irresistible desire to watch Harold and Kumar: Escape from Guatanamo Bay. It turned out to be a good decision because I discovered the song In the Beginning by K'naan. It was used as a background song when Harold, Kumar and their respective love interests were touring Amsterdam. First impression: The song was so catchy it made me want to go to Amsterdam. Second, more lasting impression: It has a legitimate, sensible message.

Verdict: It's a cross between Where's the Love? by the Black Eyed Peas and Jah is Mighty by Bob Marley. It's perfect for both 'chill' 420-like moments and for road trips. I liked the song so much I even made my own video of it. More on this later.


Bent by Matchbox Twenty
One of the ways I discover good songs to listen to is through the music video links posted by my friends on Facebook. It gives variety and a sense of randomness. This song is one of those Facebook discoveries. I thought I didn't know the song but when the chorus came on, I realized that I knew the song, and I'm part of the Matchbox Twenty generation. I sang to Unwell back in high school, and even during the depressing/emo moments of undergrad.

Verdict: This song has Matchbox Twenty written all over it, and Matchbox Twenty songs are always perfect for the lip-sync-ing and air-guitaring individuals.


Dogs Days are Over by Florence and the Machine
I've heard the song and of the song title; I've heard of the band (TIME said they're one of the emerging British indie bands). It never came to mind that these two are related. Me and The Coolest People in the World laugh at song title because it reminded us of our silly nickname for the lax days of undergrad: Doggy-doggy. So now that we've graduated from undergrad and most of us are working, the song title is perfect.

Verdict: This is what Laura Marling would sound like if she hang out/jammed with... let's say, K'naan or even Sara Bareilles.


Tadhana by Up Dharma Down
Like Bent this song is a Facebook discovery. Up Dharma Down's Oo made quite an impression on me (it was on 'repeat' for two weeks on my iPod) so I decided to give this one a try. It was the same slow melody, almost the same message/topic (sad, painful love) but this seemed to be a lot sadder than and has more drama compared to Oo.

Verdict: This is perfect for times when you feel like drowning yourself or drowning out the world with sad love songs. The analogies could mean anything, depending on how you see--no, hear it. 


Beautiful Days by Kyla
Being a Kyla fan, I knew of the song way back in high school/early college. I simply thought that it was nothing more than a nice love song and an ideal sleep-inducer, like Nina's Someday and Juris Fernandez' Di Lang Ikaw. But when Kyla sang it to Rich Alvarez, my most favorite basketball player of all time and ultimate crush (as you can see from this webpage's sidebar), I appreciated it in a different light--a loving, sincere and almost wistful light.


Verdict: The song makes you want to have someone to sing it to. Fortunately, before I shed any tears or look at the guy next to me, the song ended and K'naan's In the Beginning snapped me out of it. Good thing my phone's on shuffle.


--------------------------------------------------

You may want to read Quintet 1.


No comments: