Saturday, December 15, 2012

QNBS: Smash


I started the Quest for the Next Best Series to find a replacement for Chuck. Ten TV shows and eleven reviews later, I decided to watch Once Upon A Time (OUaT). But having the opportunity to criticize anything in a justified manner is so addicting that I have decided to continue my QNBS. I will not rename it because I don't have enough creativity to think of a new one.

I will adopt the original QNBS method for judging a show. 1. A friend recommends a TV show or I see an interesting review, or hear a sarcastic rant about it in the Internet. 2. I watch two episodes. 3. Write down what I think, Pros-Cons style.

I will add a one-liner (or maybe more) at the end of each QNBS review called The Verdict, which will serve as my verdict, my opinion, on whether you should or shouldn't watch the show.

When I get pissed, I retaliate in a not-so-in-your-face way. Even if my mother taught me otherwise, I hold grudges. Long and hard. I hold onto them as a child does her parents' hand the morning of her first day at school alone.

When Glee broke up Brittana and we see the coming of the Brampocalypse, I was acquiescent because I thought it was necessary for them to grow as individuals. But reading recaps about the episode which featured the "wedding of the year", I lost it. I had questions any decent human being who has not even read a single Brittana fanfiction have. Where is Santana? Does she know that Brampocalypse is upon us? Why is she allowing this to happen? What is her reaction? Was she devastated? Was she angry? Did she confide in Quinn or Rachel or anyone for that matter?

Of course, the optimist can say that Santana's allowing Brittany to do things she wants, to do things on her own, and to be happy. But... okay, I'm going off-topic...

Many series exist in TV world but today I will write about Smash.


Plot from Pilot: A talented writer and his equally talented best friend, who is supposedly on a break to try to adopt a baby, entertain the idea of doing a musical on Marilyn Monroe, which will be funded by a soon-to-be-divorcee and directed by a hotblooded but loyal director. Two wonderfully talented women vie for the role of Marilyn.


PROS:

1. The singing. As I listened to all of the performances by the two Marilyn wannabes I thought, My god, everyone sings like Rachel Berry! The song-choices are very well made. The most notable performances were Beautiful and Crazy Dreams.

Karen and Ivy,
continuing the great TV tradition of The Blonde vs. Brunette War

2. The writing. Everything was coherent, believable and honest. The Pilot and, the second episode aptly-titled, "The Callback" revolved around what it is like to create a musical: first, the idea (which is very different from "something that is said in passing," as brightly pointed out by Julia), then, putting the right people together, choosing the right lead and so on. I liked how both episodes I've watched so far have been clear on what it wants to achieve, to happen. Although choosing who will play Marilyn was an important and quite frightening decision to make, Smash writers didn't shy away from the task and chose, whether or not we agree with the choice is not the point. I'm glad they were brave enough to choose, to allow the story and the characters to move forward. Artie should get directing tips from the fearless Derek Wills.

Double-casting is a decision made by cowards, Mr. Abrams.

3. The actors. From Debra Messing to Anjelica Huston to Christian Borle to Jack Davenport to Megan Hilty to Katherine McPhee. Even Ellis and Leo were good in their brief moments on screen.

4. The chemistry. How the actors interact with each other on screen is as important as their ability to act, and I say this not from a Movie/TV Buff Perspective but from the Easily Pleased Fan Perspective. Good Great shows have characters who interact well with each other. Actors who make it look like that what they're doing is the real thing. Glee, for all its faults, is not lacking in this department. Other examples are Ted, Barney, Marshall, Lily and Robin; JD and Turk; House and Cuddy, and Morgan and Casey. In Smash, all pairings from romantic (Karen and Dev, Julia and Frank) to platonic (Tom with everyone else except Ivy's gay dancer-spy friend) to hostile (Tom and Derek, Eileen and Jerry and ) Julia and Ellis) worked.


5. It is better than Glee. [See discussions above]

6. I enjoy it better than I do Once Upon a Time. Yes, I've declared OUaT to be the show to replace Chuck but I have been remiss in my duties. I am still not done with OUaT's Season 1--from what I hear Season 2 is a lot different from the first one--and whenever I try to watch an episode, I feel like a writer trying my best to continue, to finish, writing this story I fell in love with and invested so much on in the past but can't. It's heartbreaking. Maybe Barney was right, new is always better. Or is it my short-attention-spanned self talking.

7. And, as a cherry on the ice cream, Smash has two guys with British accents!

Karen's a lucky girl.

CONS:

1. The length. Each episode is 40+ mins long and, I cannot say this enough, my attention span for TV shows have gotten shorter and shorter. Gone are the days when I can sit through six (6) House episodes (straight!). But on the upside, since I can stomach 40mins of hideous Glee, I can watch and listen to its well-written version Smash.

2. The limited singing. I am not nitpicking but I would love to see the other actors sing and dance, too. One thing I love about Glee is that everyone can just break into song any minute. Even Coach Beiste. Of course, Smash writers can all give the big song numbers to the two Marilyns (I know Karen was cut but forgive me, I am still in the process of accepting her loss!) but it will be fun to see Julia, Tom, Derek and Eileen just sing. Right?

3. The unrelate-able characters. While Julia, Tom, Eileen, Derek, Karen, Ivy et al are good characters they are no Rachel, Finn, Quinn, Santana.. (I could go on with  this). Surprisingly, my strongest emotion towards a character was my hatred for Ellis.

whathisface

4. I like songs and musicals but Broadway is not my thing. Some parts of the episodes can be really boring if I didn't focus enough but luckily I did...so far. I'm not really sure I could keep up. I hope the good writing and good song selection will help.


THE VERDICT: To borrow an analogy from my Legal History professor, Smash is like a good skirt--long enough to cover the important parts but short enough to keep things interesting.



-----------------------------------------------

You may want to read other QNBS reviews:

Pushing Daisies
Spartacus: Blood and Sand
Freaks and Geeks
Bent
Once Upon A Time
The Inbetweeners
Game of Thrones 2
Sherlock
Suits
Game of Thrones 1
The IT Crowd
Rizzoli & Isles
Community
Awkward
New Girl
Outsourced



No comments: