Thursday, December 6, 2012

Quintet 6: Top 10 Performances from Glee's Season 4

Quintet is a bi-monthly music review of any five songs I happen to come across/stumble upon, or were recommended, any how, any time. Suggestions from readers are most welcome because music deserves to be shared. Let me be your convert or critic.


I know, I know, Quintet is reserved for music 'critiques' or comments and is usually limited, as the name suggests, to five songs but I just had to use it as an excuse avenue to list down the performances from Glee that I liked, so far.

For all its faults (Letting go of Dianna Agron from its regular cast being on the top of that list; the lack of Brittana and the inevitable Brampocalypse is a close second), Season 4 managed to keep my interest in the show by: (1) hiring a bunch of new actors who dance better than they sing, and (2) covering well good songs. So, before episode 10 ("Swan Song") airs, here is the list of the Top 10 songs/performances I liked from Glee's Season 4:

10. Call Me Maybe, because the interactions between Brittany, Tina, Blaine and Wade during the song was really funny. And of course, because it gave me INAM feels.

9. Heroes, because Blam/Slaine is more adorable than Bram!

No to Bram-pocalypse! Yes to Blam/Slaine!

8. Gangnam Style, because the song is so catchy and its Tina's first solo in a competition. And, the confetti guns! Seeing the guys pull out the confetti guns gave me the same feels I had when they used the smoke machine in Season 3's Regionals performance. You just know they're going to win--fainting Marley or otherwise.

7. Come See About Me. The Unholy Trinity. Need I say more?

6. Whistle, because this song really suits the Warblers like a Dalton blazer. Their version is better than Flo-Rida's, only because theirs don't have silly lines like There's only one flo(w?) and one rida (or was that rider?).

5. Beauty School Dropout, because Blaine's really a good singer and this is a good song (even if it refers to flunking a class on shampoo). Andddd, the headdresses!

With props like these, nothing can go wrong.

4. Teenage Dream (acoustic), because Blaine's voice is amazing and his face is so expressive. I can never not think about this performance whenever I hear Katy Perry's song.

3. Mine, because how could one watch Santana sing this song to Brittany and not cry, or at least feel something close to crying? She is the best thing that's ever been mine. Oh yes she is, Santana, she is.

2. The Scientist, because (1) its a good song on its own, (2) the lyrics sung by each character fit them perfectly (example, Brittany's line went, questions of science, science and progress, do not speak as loud as my heart) and (3) it marked the point in the story (or what's left of it) when all the couples we knew and loved went separate ways to be their own persons outside the relationship.

1. Some Nights, because listening to this song has led me to fun.'s Some Nights album which is so good it's the only thing that I listen to now. Also, I like this song better than old New Directions' Don't Stop Believing.

Other notable songs/performances that failed to make it to the list are: Born to Hand Jive (because of Ryder and Kitty's two-person cartwheel), Everybody Talks (because of Jake and Kitty's good dancing), Chasing Pavements (because of the heartwarming Hummelberry reunion at the end), and Barely Breathing (because this song is good, regardless who sings it.).


What's your favorite so far?

----------------------------------

You may want to read...

other blogs in the Quintet series:

Quintet 1: Music to my ears
Quintet 2: Holy Week Playlist
Quintet 3: GLEE-king Out
Quintet 4: Radio
Quintet 5: Original vs Covers

other random stuff I wrote about Glee:

Quick Change-Ups 2
Common Themes and Things in Glee's Season 1 and Season 3
How Sue Sees It
Glee Mysteries: Mike, Quinn and Mercedes
Kurt's 27 (Head) Dresses
Who Wore It Better: Kurt vs. Santana
15 Glee Club Truths
Final(e) Thoughts: GLEE-duation
Things I Missed From Glee's Season 1 (Part 3)
Things I Missed From Glee's Season 1 (Part 2)
Things I Missed From Glee's Season 1 (Part 1)
McKinley High School in a Decade


No comments: